[Harp-L] General practice habits

Hello Everyone,
 I have been floundering as far as practicing habits go.I'll intend on say just practicing chromatic tunes.I'll play a few and hear a great tune next on a certain cd.Now all of a sudden I am sidetracked to this totally different tune(but still loving it). I am sure some of you are with me on this.Is there anyone who can put some sort of practice system that works for them into understandable english for me..I know it depends on what you are trying to achieve of course, like 1st pos.,3rd,2nd,slow tunes,fast,swings.( And then theres singing).I seem to be all over the map.I would like to excell in all of the above like most of us.I listen alot to Little Walter,Kim Wilson,Mark Hummell,Gary Primich,Rod Piazza and the people that influenced them.I'm just entering the world of chromatic. It seems to be overwhelming.Do I stick to with a certain artist for a month,do I stick to first pos for a week or a month,do I only play chromatic for a week?I'll practice these tunes thinking I can do this with these guys.Then these guys fall apart.Or I go to a jam and the guys don't know the tunes etc.I know the practicing of these tunes doesn't go in vain because if you have to revisit them the general foundation is in place.Do I need an instructor,mentor,shrink,more patience, all of the above,or can you guys help with some sort of practice system that has worked for you.Thank You Everyone who may contribute. Kevin Keith