Re: [Harp-L] I want to play chromatic like Stevie

Thanks for the tip Rob! I've always been able to get a nice staccato using the technique you describe, but it doesn't have the explosive quality that I hear in Stevie's technique. Or I should say, for me, as the click gets louder I lose the ability to effectively push or pull air through the harmonica at the same time, so I'm left with all click and no note. But perhaps if I keep trying.... ;-)

- Slim.

Robert Paparozzi wrote:

Slim,

Your right, that's a definite "Stevie-ism"....

Try clicking the tip of your tongue of the top of your upper palette, 1st without the harp and you'll get a a sort of click-pop sound effect. Then, take a few notes on the chromatic (upper register works best above 5).

When you first hear it it sounds like his giving the harp short staccato type "Kisses" but it's really the technique above.......

The Plucking in his version of 'Alfie' is awesome!

Good Luck............
Rob Paparozzi