[Harp-L] Discoveries to Share

Don't mean to offend anyone, but it seems that since X-MAS there have been
very few posts about music/playing/technique/styles etc. 90% of posts are
gear/setup or player related. Gear questions are fine, but how about some
other stuff to.

Anybody got any discoveries to share or any questions? Perhaps over the next
few weeks we could all make an effort to get the fire going again.

Pierre.

I might add to this some thoughts and routines that help me.  There may be
some newer players out there who read the posts but seldom ask questions.  I
really struggled at first and could have used some help.  Newer players I
run into sometimes ask how to get started.  Here are some things that help
me.

I mark my harmonica with a tiny dot of red nail polish on the 3,6,9, holes.
I can see at a glance where I am...sadly I can't tell by the sound.

When I first got started I set my timer for 15 minutes of practice and it
seemed like it was forever.  Now I have to make myself quit after one hour,
so I can get something else done.  After I do some housework, I reward
myself with some practice time.

In my big loose leaf binder where I keep my songs, words of encouragement
from friends etc, I typed up a guideline for myself.  It is as follows:

    Make sure my mouth is clean, teeth flossed etc.

    Play my best

    Swallow often to prevent moisture

    Warm up harmonica ( my blow three is timid unless warm)

    Note hand position

    Tap foot...I am not musical and I really have to think about tapping the
foot.

    Rock in chair to help rhythm or stand up sometimes.

    Secure tongue to note

    Use Doc Gindicks advise ...soft loud soft etc.

    Start with Shenandoah (helps me be more expressive)

    Improvise with authority (I got that advice from the harp-L)

    Be positive

    Hold the long notes as required by the song writer.
Relax and have fun.....Gail