Re: [Harp-L] Discoveries to Share

Chris Michalek wrote:
This is no discovery....

want to improve your playing?  Regardless of your level of technique
listen to the drummer or bassist rather than the guitarist.  Get your
groove on and people will respond to you better.  The best players
are rhythmic players.

What to play like Stevie Wonder?  Learn to sing his style of music
and then play your vocals.

Practice humming a note and then going to your harp and play that
same note without finding your bearings on the instrument. KNOW where
every sound and note is on EVERY harmonica.  This is the beginning to
being able to play what is in your head.

As an ear player (I haven't mastered the nasal stuff yet) I've got to say that item 2 is the almost the only way I've ever learned to play anything. Playing by ear was always easier for me than reading and I just went with it. While I'd advise everyone to master reading (don't do as I do,) learning to play something you can hum and whistle is the gateway to improvising. Reading well allows you to play something you've never heard before and playing by ear allows you to play something you've never thought of before.

The drummer and bass player are the secret (or not so secret) leaders of every small group. There's a reason that so many drummers want to tell everyone what to do. <g>

-- Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly