Re: [Harp-L] I want to play chromatic like Stevie

On Jun 10, 2005, at 8:15 PM, Ludo Beckers wrote:

<<The Plucking in his version of 'Alfie' is awesome!

<Where can this Stevie Wonder version be heard? tia.
ron

064 371-2 LG 00699 "Inspiration" (22 great harmonica performances)

You'll find more info at www.planetharmonica.com

Ludo

The CD I have, has 9 cuts. They are:
1.....Alfie.....good tune, and one I have been playing since it came out with Dion Warwick on vocal.
2.....More than a Dream.....an up-tempo tune which isn't easy to stay on track with. I don't do it.
3.....A House is Not a Home.....another Warwick tune which I have been doing a long time. (It's a little too slow) Pretty
4.....How Can You Believe.....not that interesting, at least to me.
5.....Never My love.... my SECOND favorite, and one I have done since concrete.
6.....Ruby.....a little too slow, a little too high in pitch, otherwise real nice
7.....Which Way The Wind.....no harp. I didn't care for it.
8.....Bye Bye World.....no harp. Not very interesting
9.....Grazing in the Grass.....questionable on this one. Stevie gets behind (herkey-jerkey) on the timing.

conclusion: you would think that someone as illustrious as Stevie would give you an album which not only has 12 cuts, BUT each and every one of them would be great (OK, well at least 8). I don't feel that way, and if it weren't for 3 of the cuts (plus one 'tolerable'), I would say the album is marginal. I have written in the past that I consider any album that has one HALF (or more) looser material to be unworthy of purchase. If it weren't for the fact that I enjoy Steve's playing SOOO much, I would toss it in the trash.
smo-joe