RE: [Harp-L] Re: Trivia Question [Amish Harps]

So, it appears a blanket statement about the permitted use of harmonicas in
Amish churches is not accurate, and I'm STILL looking for a specific
reference to the "harmonica" usage.

Actually as I reread my question I see that I misstated something. There is
not really a "church rule" that would "allow" the playing of a harmonica
over another instrument.  Bobbie is correct in that no musical instrument is
allowed in the worship service.  The use of harmonicas for personal
enjoyment has apparently become accepted by many families.  My father and
most of his brothers played harmonicas.  We also had a piano in our home and
of the 13 siblings my oldest brother and I were the only ones that never
learned how to play it.  Two of my sisters took lessons for a short time.
   In my younger years I did not really given much thought to the whys of
many of the rules of our church.  That is just how it was.  I do know that I
had a radio, as a kid and would listen to WWVA on Friday nights, and there
was a harmonica player on the jamboree, and I loved the sound he made.

But, pianos and organs are both used in various congregations now, and it's
my guess, and hope to find out for sure eventually, that because the
harmonica is also a "reed" instrument as is the organ, that it was
ultimately
"allowed" for musical church purposes based on their shared properties or
similarities.

Yes some of the Mennonite congregations do play pianos, in their services.
It could be that the harmonica was considered a "humble" instrument of
music, that could be hid, as it were.

Or maybe it's cuz we call 'em harps!!!  ;)

That sounds as good as any reason.

See you at SPAH, too!!

Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx