[Harp-L] Music encyclopedia (Long. And a bit of a rant as well.)

I was in Borders tonight and ran across a book that
claimed to be an encyclopedia of instruments and
composers. Quite naturally I turned to the section
regarding harmonicas and became a little perturbed.
The statement was made that in spite of virtuosos like
Larry Adler, the instrument is largely regarded as a
toy!
Had the authors qualified this by also excluding the
Blues, Jazz and probably Country, the statement would
stand. As it was stated, this assertion is a terrific
insult to the amazing musicians that have played the
harp. Not to mention the genres in which they played.
I play the harmonica because I like it, and don't
worry about what most people think. However, if
someone purports to be an authority, they should make
more of an attempt to be accurate.

Sorry, had to vent to folks who would understand.

Chris

BTW, Larry was amazing, but he's not the only one.

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/