Re: [Harp-L] Re: Mustache safety.

----- Original Message ----- From: <Snaruhn@xxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 5:08 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Mustache safety.

Hi, bearded harpers,

John Walden wrote:

I used to have a moustache.... It interfered with my harmonica playing...
SO I GOT RID OF THE MOUSTACHE! >

And Steve (Groucho Marx meets Zapata) answered with:

< Too extreme a solution for me. I've found that as as long as I ensure that

< no moustache hair is allowed to penetrate the "buffer zone," which is a gap

< 3.87mm wide extending from the bottom of my top lip to the lowermost
< extremity of the 'tache, all will be well.  Get this right is my advice,
for
< no greater rage can a man feel than he feels at that instant of moustache
< hair entrapment in the cover plates. >

Toots Thielemans always had an immense moustache but never problems
with it. The reason is simple: he plays a chromatic having no cover plates
with open edges where moustache hairs can stick.

So, it seems to me that this problem is familiar only to blues harpers and
the ideal solution isn´t to get rid of the moustache but to use diatonics
having shells in the shape of the CX 12 or at least having mpcs which close
the cover plates.

CXfried

Hi,
I have to respectfully disagree with you big time as this is NOT just blues players because I know several chromatic players that get theior moustache and beard hairs caught in the slide of the chromatic too, and when I had one, I most certainly DID have that problem, even while keeping it VERY neat and trimmed. Toot's 'stash doesn't go over his lip and so he is less immune to that, so from my own personal experience, your arguement doesn't quite ring true.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com