Re: [Harp-L] Chromatics question

Hey Jp,

I doubt if there will be consensus on this issue,
as the choice of ax is a very personal matter.

I have a Super 64 that I bought about 5 years ago
and have to say that I was initially dissapointed
with it. Out of box mine was a pretty leaky
beastie, thought the tone was exquisite. So I sent
it off to chrom harp repair wizard Bill Romel and
he made that harp a work of art. He silver-plated
the mouthpiece, reworked the slide and plates so it
became very responsive and airtight. He also
re-gapped it to suite my aggressive bluesy plaing
style.

It has an exquisite dark tone and is now my first
choice to gig with. My feeling is that although
mine was a clunker, most Supers are much better out
of the box than mine was.

I don't own a 280, but I'm told it's a fine
chromatic as well. Both (I think) have plastic
bodies and are cross-tuned. The Super 64 has a much
cooler look to it, also has a thicker bite than the
280. A thick bite can be a problem if you play a
lot of octaves (which is why I rarely play my CX-12
these days).

I also own a Hering 5164 which is the Hering
version of the Hohner 280. It's a great harp in its
own right. It was ~very~ resonsive and airtight
right out of the box, but it's tone is much
brighter than my Super, and not as loud.

On the plus side, the Hering has a thinner 'bite'
and so for me it is easier to reach octaves with
that harp. I imaging the same would hold true of
the Hohner 280 which has pretty much an identical
profile.

Good luck!

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.