Re: [Harp-L] Chromatics question

--- Mojo Red <harplicks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey Jp,
>
> I doubt if there will be consensus on this issue,
> as the choice of ax is a very personal matter.

true enough. it was a... hopeful... word choice.

> I have a Super 64 that I bought about 5 years ago
> and have to say that I was initially dissapointed
> with it. ... Bill Romel... silver-plated
> the mouthpiece, reworked the slide and plates so it
> became very responsive and airtight.
>
> It has an exquisite dark tone and is now my first
> choice to gig with. My feeling is that although
> mine was a clunker, most Supers are much better out
> of the box than mine was.

sounds good. also, i hear nowadays the mouthpieces are
already silver plated.

The Super 64 has a much
> cooler look to it, also has a thicker bite than the
> 280. A thick bite can be a problem if you play a
> lot of octaves (which is why I rarely play my CX-12
> these days).

huh. i wonder why it would have a thicker bite. the
chro i have now is a 6164. can't imagine it's much
slimmer than the Super.

thanks for the detailed response. and actually i
prefer the look of the 280 covers, unfortunately ;)

  --Jp