Re: [Harp-L] re: harp as a toy

Bob said: for every really good harp player the average person comes in contact with (regardless if they're musicians or not, pro or amateur), they're usually gonna come in contact with 10,000 really AWFUL players with equally awful musical habits (regardless of genres they play or think they can play)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 in 10,000? I'm not sure there are 10,000 harp players on the planet who play in public. I have to admit I've never been to a jam bar so maybe I haven't seen what you've seen.

Lets face it, like all wind instrument, the harmonica is really hard to master and hardly popular compared to guitar, piano or even the sax or trumpet. Most people who take up the sax as a hobby play badly, they squeak's and squawks and well you know. Most people just give up after 2 or 3 years (high school) still playing badly. Other's get passionate about it and put in the hours and become pro. There's lots of music schools which will take them as they are relatively rare compared to piano players and guitarist.

In my non-expert opinion, the harp is 10 times harder to master than a sax (trumpet, ...), there is just so much you can milk out of the instrument. Takes 5 to 10 years to get over the basics and another 20+ years to become a master. As skilled as some kids are, IMO there are no 25 year old pro who can play (sound) like the great 50+ year old pros. Musically people can be good at a young age (the younger generation excels here), but the young guys just don't have the inventory of sounds, skills and tricks that the old blues guys have.

Ok, I have a question, how old is Matias Pribojszki?

Pierre.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Maglinte" <bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx>