Re: [Harp-L] re: harp as a toy

On Jun 19, 2005, at 1:39 PM, S.Doyle Yoder Sr wrote:

The ball is also sold in the toy department and sports stores. IMHO It
comes back round to how it is played. And look at the word to describe what
we do with the musical instrument. PLAY,,,, I agree with the post that
mentioned going to a tool department, it's like being in a toy store for me.
When I learned how to express what I had inside me, through the harmonica,
that I started becoming less concerned with how, and what the other
musicians thought of me. The day I had the seasoned rhythm guitar player,
at Oldfield, tell me that I was going to turn into a harmonica some day,
that I realized that he got a glimpse of how much I did appreciate this
'little toy'.
Doyle

Good one Doyle. Speaking of tools, people will buy all sorts of power equipment (routers, dremels, various saws) and ANY 'do-hckey' to keep from having to do something by HAND. Meanwhile, once you learn to use hand tools, you don't have to ever worry about the power going out. The same goes for musical instruments. Once you learn it the hard way, you don't need all the 'do-hickeys'.
As for people going out and playing harmonica in public (before they're ready, that is), the same can be said for any instrument. We had a trombone player the other night who was so bad I wanted to kill myself. Last week we had a rotten trumpet player. Here's the scarey part. He is music director for a major area high school. Sheeeeesh.
Our keyboard player once told me he had no respect for harmonica players because he had never heard one who could do more than just make 'background noise'. That was 4 years ago. He feels differently now.
smo-joe