Re: [Harp-L] re: harp as a toy

On Jun 19, 2005, at 2:56 PM, Dave Murray wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I, like the rest of this forum, see the harmonica as a real musical instrument. It is a very challenging one at that, and I'm not likely to ever reach the point in playing it that I'd like. My point was just about how/why the general population sees it as a toy.

Peace and music,
Dave

BECAUSE they can be had for a couple bucks. You can get a plastic flute for a couple bucks but I don't see anyone playing one of THOSE in public. FTR, here in SW Fla we don't have this problem (at least it's not as pronounced). The older people ALL know who the Harmonicats, Rascals, Larry Adler were, AND since Charlie McCoy has a home down here in Ft. Myers, the harmonica is not unheard of.
smo-joe