Re: [Harp-L] Hi

On Jun 19, 2005, at 6:32 PM, W8BEZ@xxxxxxx wrote:

S a y,, How many of the harmonica players these days use a cup(coffee cup
size)or drinking glass size and blow their harp into either of those things for
sound effect to make a pretty good sound.. In fact I learned that about 70
years ago or so.. I started playing an
("Old Stand-by") when I was 7 years ago.. oH, incidently I turned 82 this
past February..
AL in Garden City, Michigan..

I use a cheap aluminum measuring cup (from the supermarket). It has a handle that will go over a couple fingers and is very cheaply (read: THIN) made. The thinner the better , Oh, and also...it SHOULDN't taper. In the 70s, I 'used' to use an aluminum glass made by 'ecco' (back in the 40s) but it was too thick. Winslow uses a chef's 'saucier' condiments cup (stainless...I think). I (myself) picked up on the idea back in 69 when I saw it being done in prison. Apparently the convicts didn't ALL enjoy harp as it reminded them of being in the joint, so other convicts would do their practicing into a jailhouse cup (also cheaply made). :)
smo-joe