RE: [Harp-L] - set up

Rainbow Jimmy wrote:

"With all due respect I've been playing for 30 years and never got under
the covers. I play Lee Oskars right out of the box."

Eric writes:

I have to admit, I have never played a Lee Oskar, so I may have a lot to
learn about being able to do those things I can't do with abn out of the
box harp - where I currently believe that I do benefit from the "under
the covers" adjusting I tend to do. Maybe Lee Oskars have built in
factory mojo? heh.

I don't think we're disagreeing here! Jimmy plays Lee Oskars; Eric never has; I use all sorts including Lee Oskars (though I've never played Hering diatonics), and LOs are far and away the "most playable" (to me) out of the box. And they stay that way for longer than the others too. LO are justly proud of their quality control. But I just can't contemplate life without the odd gapping adjustment or fine-tune (or indeed retune, as with Paddy Richter). And what about chromatics? If you can just get in there every now and again, to attend to the valves if nothing else, you save yourself a wad of dosh!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm