RE: [Harp-L] Geordie Amplifier

I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but how exactly would you play into an empty can?  what sort of sound does this produce? do I need to cut the can or modify it in any way?  is it possible to mic this?  Always looking for new cool tricks to freak out the crowd.

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Trobridge [mailto:gopher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 1:36 PM
To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Geordie Amplifier

Hi Al

>S a y,,  How many of the harmonica players these days use a cup(coffee cup
>size)or drinking glass size and blow their harp into either of those things for
>sound effect to make a pretty good sound.. In fact I learned that about 70
>years ago or so.. I started playing an
>("Old Stand-by") when I was 7 years ago.. oH, incidently I turned 82 this
>past February..
>AL  in Garden City, Michigan..

Ernie Gordon, one of the best traditional tremolo players comes from the North East
of England and he used a Geordie amplifier - see
http://harmonica.co.uk/magazine.htm
Page down to issue Dec/Jan 2003/4 of our magazine where he is on the cover.

He used an empty can of Newcastle Brown Ale for the traditional Northumberland music,
and switches to a can of Guinnes for the Irish tunes.

Very effective, and freshley emptied cans seem to work best <g>

Roger