[Harp-L] Review : Harmonica Swing

Hi !

I have been a bit silent these last few weeks for reasons mostly pertaining to my workload. I have stopped my updates on the May St Aignan festival but I will resume them when time allows. In the meantime, I'm releasing stuff that was already written just to liven up a sad webpage. Here are the first few paragraphs of a review of the Frémeaux compilation Harmonica Swing that I posted today on my weblog at http://harmonica.typepad.com :

"Toots is, in my humble opinion, both the best and the worst thing that happened to Jazz harmonica. The best because his music is wonderful, and also because he gave the instrument visibility and credibility in a musical milieu where no concessions are made. The worst because he was so influential that very few players today have managed to step out of his shadow. To some extent, they all sound like Toots, although he can hardly be blamed for it.

That's one of the reasons that I don't listen to much harmonica jazz. Another one is that chromatic players have this tendency to focus on the pretty and mellifluous, "between a smile and a tear" aspect of the instrument. If you read me regularly, you know that I'm not much of a fan of romantic jazz, and this probably explains that...

So figure my astonihsment, nay, my utter joy at the discovery of an entire musical tradition of pre-Toots jazz, players who, for the most part, were not influenced by other harmonica players. Of course, I knew of Larry Adler, but I didn't associate him with jazz as much as I associated him with vaudeville, perhaps wrongly. But Harmonica Swing presents us with many more players, some of whom sadly faded from the limelight in the late 40s, despite their obvious and amazing talent."

Ben