Re: [Harp-L] Traditional players

On Jun 21, 2005, at 7:42 AM, SONNYTONE@xxxxxxx wrote:

Hey Pierre, maybe you should come to the states and check out some of the
great players here. Paul Lamb is one overseas who has studied and is proficient
in all three styles. I am not recorded but anytime you want to come by Ct., you
may be surprised at how closely those styles are played with passion and
knowledge. To say no one comes close to those 3 is an insult to Estrin, Barrett,
Kashmar, Tom Ball, just to name a few who can lay down all three styles well.
Living with Sonny Terry for years and performing duets with him more than
anyone alive was one aspect, listening to LW and SB2 for 12 hours a day and
practicing while driving was the other part. I am not my own horn blower like some
people, but those of you who have been by the house or have my recordings know
it is possible. Keep an open mind, or practice more, or maybe both.

I would submit that persons who DO have the NATURAL ABILITY, drive, talent, time, and desire to play a musical instrument usually go for something other than harmonica in the first place. I also noticed that a lot of harmonica players have tried something else BEFORE the harmonica, or have dabbled in other instruments all along. (thereby 'robbing' harmonica of it's deserved time). p.s. don't pick on Pierre, Pierre RULES.
smo-joe