[Harp-L] Re: Harp as toy (young vs older generation)

Pierre wrote:
"I heard Kim Wilson (I think it was Kim) say that he plays out of the box
harp, so I assumed all the old guys all did. Pretty big assumption I must
admit."

My understanding is that Kim Wilson plays Filiskos, and a Filisko is not a typical out-of-the-box instrument, even if Kim never takes off the cover plates.

FYI, I just returned from Australia, where I played with Jim Conway, Tony Eyers, and others.  I had the opportunity to play a benefit gig for a local MS charity in Sydney with Jim.  We were backed by an excellent New Orleans-style piano player and drummer.  I played into the PA through my Labtec AM22, and Jim used a Shure Beta 57A.  The combination sounded great -- the Labetc produced a big low end and Jim's Shure cut right through on top.  What a blast.

Jim gave me a marine band harp in Ab customized by Neil Graham.  I've been playing and enjoying it, will have a fuller report on the trip and the harp soon.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com