Re: [Harp-L] fiddle harp help... please

You might look into Glen Weiser's book "American and Irish Fiddle tunes for
the Harmonica". It seems to have a nice selection and can get you started. I
have a few tabs and mp3's available on my website, too. (
www.cyberharp.isonfire.com <http://www.cyberharp.isonfire.com> -- page down
a bit)
 Your best bet to get going with your new bluegrass buddies is to make notes
of the tunes they commonly like to play and the keys in which they play them
(for your future reference and your research). While you are doing that,
work on playing good back up that blends with everyone else and does not
distract from the music of the band or confuse the sound or rhythm. Taste
would also dictate that you learn when you should play and when you should
lay out. The ultimate objective is to contribute to the whole and detract
from nothing.
 Remember, no matter how long you have been playing harmonica, to them in
this situation, you may be a beginner. Beginners usually sit on the edges of
jams and work on chords and keeping rhythm for awhile before they get in and
play tunes. And, since everyone knows that they are beginners, everyone
usually helps them out. They may be willing and able to help you out once
they realize you are a beginner who needs their help.
 Fiddlers are often a well of information on back-up, fills, and when to lay
out. You don't have to ask them anything. Just watch them. If they are in
too much, the rest of the group will grumble. If they aren't, they usually
have a good feel for the right expression in the right places, so they are
great studies.
 Fiddlers are also great to watch for learning tunes. They tend to play the
melody line and then improvise. The picked instruments do not always. On
banjo tunes, which often have more chording to them than melody, the fiddler
usually finds something melody-like within it. So the fiddler may be a good
guide all the way around in the session.
 The harmonica shares a lot with the fiddle, by the way. No instrument
besides the harmonica and fiddle can play truly enlongated tones without
restriking. Their voices also fall into similar registers. (If you cannot
tell, I have learned a lot from fiddlers.)
 Once you have your list of tunes and keys, start looking for recordings of
them (and notation, if you read music). The list of tunes will help you
search for sound clips on the net and recordings in the stores and in the
local library. The other musicians may have particular recordings for you to
check out that may have their tune version on it. Ask them (after they are
through playing, of course). The keys of the tunes will help you keep in
step each session with the other players. They may even be the same keys the
tune is played in on the recordings. (Some tunes have particular keys.)
Eventually, as you learn more about keys and modes and the music theory that
allows you to play in different keys and modes, you can add notes on what
position(s) you prefer to use to play each tune.
 While learning their version of the tunes from them, start by listening for
the overall melody and its direction, being careful to capture any moments
that seem to stand out in the tune, so that you can devise a simple version
of the tune which covers the "bases" and keeps you on track with them. (You
may even want to record the sessions for reference.) That simple version you
devise can be used in time as a baseline to follow for improvisation and/or
the creation of a more ornate version once you get better at the tune.
 That bit of info should get you started. I would encourage you to visit
SPAH this year in Kansas City for the seminar on Americana music. Some very
good bluegrass/country fiddle tune players will be there at the convention,
along with quite a few very good Irish tune players. It will be worth the
experience.
 Cara Cooke