Re: [Harp-L] fiddle harp help... please

From: "Cara Cooke" <cyberharp@xxxxxxxxx>
<<You might look into Glen Weiser's book "American and Irish Fiddle tunes for the Harmonica". It seems to have a nice selection and can get you started. I have a few tabs and mp3's available on my website, too. (www.cyberharp.isonfire.com <http://www.cyberharp.isonfire.com> -- page down
a bit)>>

Cool web site Cara. When I have more time I'll read a while.

I listened to "Old Joe Clark" and have a couple of questions. When I grabbed my D harp to play it (Mixolydian A) to play along I think that I discovered that you must have been using a C harp since it seemed like you played in G. Am I hearing/not hearing things right? I usually play it down low on the harp, you played it way up at the top. Does that help you get heard, playing in that octave? I guess that that would be a good way for me to make friends with that end of the harp.

<< Fiddlers are often a well of information on back-up, fills, and when to lay out. You don't have to ask them anything. Just watch them. If they are in too much, the rest of the group will grumble. If they aren't, they usually have a good feel for the right expression in the right places, so they are great studies.>>

I bought the book "Teach yourself Bluegrass Fiddle" by Matt Glaser recently. It has a CD with a whole bunch of tunes, twice. Once with the fiddle, once without for you to play along. The book has interesting information about playing with the fiddle, which I don't, and the music in music notation, which I don't read. I bought it mostly so I can learn to play the tunes by ear while listening to a fiddler. It might be of interest to bluegrass harpers.

Peace and music,
Dave