Re: [Harp-L] Re : First Generation Vs. the current one

Hurrican Ramón wrote:

Hurricane sez :

What perplexes me on this issue is that many consider a person who has fast blistering chops as the better player .

¡ NOT , I repeat Not Not Not Speed only !

What about timing , nuance , space in between lightning chops ?

In nutshell :

Bix Bierderbecke .

Bix was a marvelous player. He had a tone that's almost instantly recognizable and a very lyrical approach to the horn. Because a lot of his recordings were with the Whiteman band they can be hard to plow through unless you like dance band arrangements from the twenties. His small group recordings are really beautiful.

BTW, he was another player who had a mature style when he was in his twenties.

Hear Barrelhouse Solly on the internet--that's me

http://www.soundclick.com/barrelhousesolly

Yes, it's what everyone has been clamoring for--pictures of the cats:

http://ratemykitten.com/my/?gallery=willie_mctell