Re: [Harp-L] tweaking harps and lost in the blues

Chris Michalek wrote:
Being able to emote has more to do with understanding one's self
moreso than anything else.

Good point Chris. I interviewed Earring George Mayweather for LIVING BLUES a (long) while back. He said many times over a bunch of nights in my cramped Boston apartment, "Everybody gets the blues, even the President." Leaving aside any political discussion whatsoever, I'd have to agree. Why else would everyone be on Prozac?

I have this vague recollection from Psych 101 that one of the fathers of modern psychology devised this theory that we basically carry the same level of angst regardless of our situation but that our needs change.

The Internet is wonderful. Questions seldom have to go unanswered. I'm referring to Abraham Maslov. And his theory is called: "The Hierarchy of Human Needs."

1. Physiological
2. Safety and Security
3. Love and Belonging
4. Esteem or Ego
5. Self-actualize
6. Know and Understand
7. Aesthetic

Each "need" is evoked to the degree that the person is "unsatisfied." And usually the lower ones like food, shelter, and safety take p residence over the higher ones (though not always).

Aw those college guys, right? That's just a fancy way of saying we can all feel very deeply regardless of our situation. Blues to me encompasses much more than expressing "pain" through music. Really it's a music about communicating your feelings deeply and publicly.

Crack Pot theory number 10,342: most of us, including a great many people who play the blues have lost our ability to touch and use our feelings as the more basic needs get satisfied. What Chris says rings really true to my ears: "Being able to emote has more to do with understanding one's self moreso than anything else." But to put my own spin on his words, being able to access and express your feelings through music is what makes effective blues. And this is no mean feat. Indeed, you have to be authentic, you have to be wise, and you have to be very brave.

Look whose got too much time on his hands today. Actually, I'm supposed to be looking for new clients for my web design business, which I hate. Besides, I played out last night and I'm too busy feeling bad about my shortcomings as a musician. That REALLY gives me the blues. My lack of talent is felt deeply and it sure does find its way out the other end of my harps and to the audiences' ears. ;-)

Peace, love, and happy summer.

Bob