[Harp-L] Re: Evolving Blues

Chris Bates wrote:
Re: Evolving Blues (Long) (No, Very long)

[Must have known I would write back!] ;)

>BTW speculation can be fun. We need not take ourselves
>too seriously.

Actually, you're right and I overstated my feelings about it; after all, I
did enjoy Rainbow Jimmy's imaginative vision of LW if he would have managed
to survive into the present. I guess what I mean is I don't see much worth
in trying to "seriously" argue how a late great musician's music would have
been different had he/she had access to modern day techniques, equipment,
tools, knowledge, etc., when it is what they did with what was at hand in
their time that caused them to be revered down through history in the first
place.  One could even "speculate" that some of the "greats" [in any genre
or on any instrument] might have even been less well regarded with such
opportunities of present day available to them if, for instance, they
couldn't afford [or learn how best to use] them as well as others of their
time might.  And that's the sort of unfair speculation I actually refer to,
essentially denigrating their true contribution by presuming they could
have been better... well, maybe, maybe not.

Also...
>I would disagree with the premise that the Blues is
>evolving simply because it is music. There are many
>music forms that have remained static.

Not exactly what I said, but I get your point, too.  I'm saying that all
music evolves and always has.  Blues was/is itself an evolutionary stage in
the ongoing history of music in general, and has had its own "intra-genre"
changes as well, [and continues to do so,] just as all genres do.  As for
remaining static, I'd venture a guess that most music forms have an element
of stasis about them, which affords a stable basis which is the appeal of
any particular genre for its fans.  [Such an aspect is quite probably also
responsible for the feelings of any genre's detractors!  Classical -- how
formulaic!  Progressive Jazz -- I don't get it!  Blues -- Always the same;
how boring!]  :)))  Definitely music is to each his/her own!!

>However, the Blues IS evolving, just not along a fluid
>path.

Yes, but I suspect no less fluid than any other style of music.  Tweaking a
music form seems to go in fits and starts... A new twist on the rhythm adds
new interest; a new instrument or new technique on it sparks new ideas; a
radically different musician appears on the genre's scene and incites a new
trend.  One or a combination of these sorts of things can excite a new wave
of fascination with any style of music.  Look at the addition of chromatic
harp to Jump Blues... it's a retro move enjoying new popularity, perhaps
due in great part to this new, heavily amplified instrument!  [YAY!!!] :)

>The problem lies, I think, in the cyclic popularity of
>the genre, there is no continuous line. At least not
>in popular consciousness.

I'd add an apparent cyclic popularity of music styles is often driven by a
nostalgic aspect of every generation, as an interest in the music of their
parents or ancestors, or even just memories from one's youth.  It does seem
that people often establish appreciation for certain styles of music that
appeal most to them sometime before they reach 30 or so, and which stays
with them the rest of their life.  Even one like myself who enjoys many
types of music usually leans toward one or a few types more than others.
Then, as we play our preferred tunes around our children, one day they too
may revert to listening to it themselves, carrying it forward in their own
way.  But beyond that "cycle", there is also the less, perhaps, cyclic
influence of what a music style brings in complement or contrast with
prevailing climates of humanity: peacetime, prosperity, depression, anger,
anxiety, confidence, fear... and things like dance [or non-dance] trends,
too, of course. ;)

Absolutely.  And you said it in far fewer words than moi! :)))

>That said, there are innovators out there, there
>always have been. They do not always get the
>recognition or audience.

True, but maybe just "not yet".  Still, true innovators usually manage to
impact change somehow either themselves or through someone who may actually
become the flagbearer of the innovation.  Good ideas usually surface
eventually, thank goodness!

>Evolution is a difficult matter, regardless.
<...>
>Once the connection can no longer be heard, it is
>now something different, no matter the path that
>took it there.

A good and cogent point.  Nevertheless, it's still evolution.  :) Or maybe,
revolution.  The crux of the matter is change can and does take place in
music within, outside of and across genres.  And harmonica is doing it all
over the place!!!  Blues, Jump Blues, Bluegrass, Jazz, Celtic, etc.  It's a
refreshing new age for the instrument!

>There should always be room for those who play
>"traditional" styles and those who take a different
>path.

And there always will be, I'm sure, just as long as some prefer the
envelope and others prefer to push it.

Nice post, Chris.

Bobbie