[Harp-L] Pat Ramsey as harp mentor

 I went to Friday's Pat Ramsey and the Blues Disciples show Friday with a
friend whose 9 year old son, Owen Sproat, is a budding harpist of
considerable talent for his age.  Before the show, when Pat heard that Owen
was a harp player, he invited him backstage, talked to him, listened to him
play harp, and spent ten minutes giving him pointers.  Just before the
first set, Pat came over to invite Owen to come up to the stage and help
him on "I'm gonna build me a Woman."  The kid was speechless but consented
and sure enough got up there and played a 5 minute solo including call and
response with Dave Renson the guitarist, and was able to throw in some
signature Pat Ramsey licks, to everyone's delight.  The crowd went nuts,
and a few even asked Owen for autographs later! Needless to say, this act
of kindness and support on Pat Ramsey's part will, I'm sure, be remembered
by Owen as a high point in his life.  I wanted to recognize Pat here and
thank him for being such a great person, on top of his phenomenal harpwork
and singing.  They just don't make 'em any better than that!
     Pat tells the story of a very different treatment he received from his
childhood idol harpist, Paul Butterfield, who, when Pat tried to spend time
with him(as a teenager)before a gig called security to get him away!
  He also cracked us up when he said "you know, I gave lessons to a kid 15
years ago....his name is Jason Ricci....and I should have learned then to
stop teaching these guys my tricks!"

Thanks Pat, you are a class act!

Zig

http://mail2web.com/ .