[Harp-L] re: evolving harmonica.

"Evolving harmonica, since this is harp-l not blues-l."

That's an interesting point.  As much as I listen to the blues and go to blues concerts, I don't even really like the blues in general.  I like harmonica, a LOT, and it seems like I have to listen to the blues to get my harmonica fix.  I even play the blues quite often, not because I particularly like playing them, but because it's the easiest and most natural form of music for me to play on harp (hopefully that will change in time as I improve on the instrument).  Lately I've found that I really enjoy some of the blues fusion styles, like funky blues or jazzy blues, and instrumental blues is good too, but the old Robert Johnson/Muddy Waters/whatever straight up blues, I could do without.

The source of this introspection is when I got Little Walter's "His Best" CD and, although his playing is very impressive on many tracks, I find that there are only one or two songs on the disc that I really enjoy and could listen to over and over.  "Roller Coaster" is one of them, I think because it doesn't sound bluesy to me at all.

Jonathan Metts