[Harp-L] Re: Pat Ramsey as harp mentor

A bit ago, M. N. wrote:
>I've been a fan of Pat's since I say the old Pat Ramsey Blues Band
>open for Johnny Winter in 1987. When I went off to college later
>that year (in Tallahassee, Fla., where Pat was based at the time),
>I had the great pleasure to see Pat perform a ton!

I still get a kick out of the idea that we must have rubbed elbows a few
times back then, Mark!  If there was a female singer with Crosscut Saw then,
that was likely my sister, but I'm thinking that may have been a period when
she didn't work with them so much as before.

Pat still comes into town about, at least, once a month.  In fact, he'll be
at the blues club out in the boonies north of town, his usual haunt, this
Saturday.  [Now if you get your wings on, Mark....]  :)

As he's going to be at SPAH this year [a little thanks to me, I might add,
because I have bugged the SPAH Board via Doug T. about him being a great
addition for 3 years now and this year they listened!]  :)  So, I have dug
out an old cassette I have of Crosscut Saw and Pat that I recorded off the
radio in 1979.  I'm going to try, if I can figure out how when I get a break,
to copy it onto a CD and plan to bring him a copy for kicks when I go to
Kansas City.

The tape is not "too" bad in quality [considering!!] for part of it, but the
rest [an earlier gig date attempt that I screwed up] pretty much sucks except
for 2 or 3 tunes.  A local joint called Tommy's [were they still operating in
'87, Mark?  I forget] used to contract with local radio FM stations to do
live broadcasts during their shows, and that's where I taped this from.
There are also two different band setups, as Crosscut Saw was in transition
from one bassist to another during that time.

It was the "cool" age of FM radio, and live, uninterrupted broadcasts weren't
all that uncommon, and also full length albums would be played on a regular
basis... also uninterrupted.  Was nice for awhile... ah, well... Even then,
tho', there were apparently restrictions.  At the point where Butch Trucks
[drummer from Allman Brothers] is about to sit in, the radio broadcast cuts
away and that was the end of it.  Always wondered if that was done because
Trucks agreed to play only if no more broadcasting was done... never know, I
guess.  Maybe I'll ask Pat when I see him again.

Mark and Jason, if I ever get around to doing this copy thing, I'll make one
for you, too, but I'd like to check with Pat first and be sure it's ok with
him.  It's not really sellable stuff, but more like archival material... you
know... "for educational purposes only!!" ;)  [And BTW, other folks... No, I
do not intend to make a bunch more copies and start mailing them out, so
don't start asking, please.  Ok?  Thanks!]

=[BOBBIE]=