Re: [Harp-L] New Products coming from Hohner in April

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Koch" <rok68@xxxxxx>
To: <NormHC@xxxxxxx>; <Harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 3:47 PM
Subject: RE : [Harp-L] New Products coming from Hohner in April

Hi, I am informed that Hohner are issue a new Marine Band 1896/20. This is to be the Marine Band Deluxe

Dear list,

Right on the money, Norman.

  I saw and inspected very closely a prototype last week at Steve
Baker's who designed it. Hohner, which apparently has been loosing
ground after Hering introduced their "Vintage Harp", decided to strike
back with Steve's Marine Band Deluxe.

  1) The comb:
  This was problem for the industrial process of mass producing this
particular harp. It has a traditional pearwood comb with the edges a
little smoothed out...
  2) The plates:
  It's apparently a new material/alloy --KA2--, Hohner not being able
to secure the "old" ZA5 brass ally anymore. I don't now the exact
thickness but it seems that it is the same as the MS series. The plates
are screwed to the comb with three screws with Philips heads.
  3) The covers:
  Also screwed with two Philips head screws to the comb. No  more
nails. They are chromed and opened on the back for better projection.
  4) The tuning:
  Here are the values (relative to each either. These are no cents or
Hz) of the prototype I played. Mind you this harp was set up for Mr
Baker:
  1B: +5    1D: +6,5
  2B: +2    2D: +6
  3B: +4    3D: +4
  4B: +4    4D: +5,5
  5B: +2    5D: +5,5
  6B: +5    6D: +6,5
  7B: +4,5  7D: +4
  8B: +3    8D: +6
  9B: +4    9D: +5,5
 10B: +4   10B: +6,5
  5) The box:
  It will come in a black box with a red insert, similar to the old
hand made 580 Meisterklasse box
  6) How does it play:
  Quite good. It overblowed easily and was very fluid to play. It is a
compromise between your regular MB and a custom one. Not bad at all. I
really liked it. It was also fun to hold (it's a little heavier that
your regular MB) and looked good. It's price? Around 45 euros a pop,
they say.
  Sunnyside in Vienna

Hi Robert.
When you say relative values here in regards to the tuning, does this mean based on using a tuner set at A440 for standard pitch or something? I'd appreciate it if you could clarify this for me and eveyone else on this list. I would take a guess that this might be closer to the MS comprimised tuning rather than the one now being employed on the HM stuff. If this price is going to be closer to the price of a good custom harp, it may be a cheaper alternative to a custom, but I would doubt that it will put a dent in the sales of a Hering 1923 Vintage Harp, which is extremely competitive here in the USA with the HM MB's, especially since Hohner's last price increase. However, since no one, and obviously myself hasn't had the chance to play one in the USA, I just hope it is marked improvement.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com