Re: [Harp-L] Sound of Hohner (was Hering harp comment): couldbeHohnerApology

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike and Beverly Rogers" <mbrogers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Bob Maglinte" <bbqbob917@xxxxxxxxxxx>; "ben bouman" <fitgo@xxxxxxxxxx>; <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 10:01 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Sound of Hohner (was Hering harp comment): couldbeHohnerApology

What has helped me to get away from forceful playing, and wearing out reeds,
is my switch to custom harps. My customs will choke, if I play them too
hard, so I've learned to be gentle and am getting the same results for
volume, without destroying the reeds. Consequently, my technique is giving
longer life to my stock harps. Bullfrog

Hi,
Well said!!! People who play too hard will blow out expensive custom harps just as quickly if not MORE quickly than stock harps from playing them too hard, and learning to lose that habit will aid not only in harp longevity, but also in terms of dexterity on the instrument, tone quality and tonal VARIETY. Poor playing technique blows out harps a lot faster than poor manufacturing will, like it or not. Many of the very best players actually don't play them very hard at all.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com