Re: [Harp-L] Out of the Box.....Flat Hole 3 ?????

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony Renshaw" <tonyrenshaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 11:49 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Out of the Box.....Flat Hole 3 ?????

I am using Special 20s and I notice the C harp, also a comparative Lee Oskar, on hole 3 draws 20 cents flat straight out of the box. Is there something with the tuning that means to draw naturally in tune on neighbouring holes is correct, but hole 3 is intentionally flat? I have listened to my teacher playing this note, and his too sounds the same as my harps, so I am thinking they are all flat when compared with my electronic chromatic tuner.
Reg
Tony R
Sydney

Hi Tony,
Special 20's and Marine Bands are tuned to a comprimised tuning, wheras LO's are tuned to 12 tone equal temperament, like a guitar or a piano. The comprimised tuning is supposed to have certtain notes in the scale tuned either flatter or sharper to have smoother sounding chords. Pitch of the reed will also be affected by the way you play them, and the harder you play, the flatter the note. Below are the tuning formulas that have been employed by Hohner diatonics, and the only diatonic Hohner makes that's tuned the same way as a LO is the Golden Melody:

Original Marine Band Tuning (Just Intonation) (All Hohner diatonics made prior to the mid 80's, and the tuning the Hering 1923 Vintage Harps employs, which is 7 Limit Just Intonation)
Hole # 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Blow 0 -14 +2 0 -14 +2 0 -14 +2 0
Draw +4 +2 -12 +4 -29 +6 -12 +4 -29 +6

Current Marine Band Tuning (also on the Special 20's since the 90's)
Hole #    1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9    10
Blow      0   -12   +1    0   -12   +1    0   -12   +1     0
Draw    +2   +1   -11  +2   -12  +3   -11  +2   -12   +3

Tuning for MS Models
Hole #    1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9    10
Blow      0   -10   +1    0   -10   +1    0   -10   +1     0
Draw    +2   +1    -9   +2   +3   +3   -9    +2   +3   +3

Marine Band/Special 20 tuning used from around 1985-1990, which is 19 limit Just Intonation
Hole# 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Blow 0 -14 2+ 0 -14 2+ 0 -14 2+ 0
Draw 4+ 2+ -10 4+ 2+ 6 -10 4+ 2+ 6+

Harps are actually tuned sharper than A440, often A442 or A443 because the way most people play them, they will pull the ptch flatter and if they didn't do this, that A440 harp would play closer to A438, which would be REALLY flat when played against a piano or guitar tuned to A440. Just Intonation favors the sound of smooth chording wheras Equal Temperament, which is what the Lee Oskars uses) will have a much rougher sounding chord, but each note is more in tune with pianos and guitars.

Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com