RE: [Harp-L] Self Taught

I wouldn't rate myself as highly proficient at blues harp. However I have
been playing for over 25 years, and can add my 2 cents worth. Professional
harmonica instruction is fairly recent, with people like Jon Gindick and
David Barrett being around only in the last decade. Before that, good
harmonica instruction was hard to find. I was self taught, and I expect that
most players of my vintage are likewise.

By self taught, I mean that no-one gave me specific harmonica instruction.
However I was fortunate to meet great guitar players and singers early on.
These people taught me a lot, much of it by osmosis. Later on I started
playing baroque recorder. I'm part of a professional baroque ensemble, and
have learnt an enormous amount from my fellow players. Of course, none of
the baroque stuff is harmonica specific, however all of it is about making
music. In short, since starting out, I've almost always been in the company
of better players. This has been the key element of my instruction.

Of course, finding good players is a matter of luck. And, to judge from
experiences noted on the list about open jams, the good players are not
always friendly. However, Band in a Box, a piece of software available at
www.pgmusic.com <http://www.pgmusic.com/>  , WILL HELP NEW PLAYERS
ENORMOUSLY. The reason is simple. By playing along with a band, where you
set the tune, the key and the tempo, you will develop the technique and
confidence to shine when your turn comes to meet with real players.

Of course, a computer is no substitute for real musicians. However, as a
practice tool, Band in a Box is without peer. Buy, install it, start using
it. It will transform you as a player.

Tony Eyers

I agree with everything Tony says, except for that outrageous piece of undue modesty about his not being highly proficient at blues harp! Getting away from musical isolation and playing with other GOOD musicians has been extremely valuable to me in the last six or seven years, but, as Tony says, there's an element of luck involved both in finding the good ones and then ~knowing~ that you've found the good ones. I'd also add that grabbing a slice of formal music education did me a power of good too. I did a year's evening classes and took the English GCSE exam (the one that school pupils take at 16!) in music. There was a lot of emphasis on the practical side in that course, including a bit of basic composition and ensemble playing. It's impossible to overstate the amount of good that did me. I haven't ever had a single minute's tuition in harmonica from anyone, and that's a bad thing in that you develop ingrained limitations without realising it that can be difficult to shift at a later stage. But that's more to do with the technical side of playing. For musicality you need other musicians, whether harmonica players or not.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm
READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm