To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 5:10 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Quick Bassman Ltd Review

Mike,

I recieved my Bassman Ltd this weekend in its orginal packaging. There
have been no mods or changes to it. I don't use bullet mics much at all,
and have tried the amp with a sm 57 and an Audix OM-5. My statements are
about the amp in comparison to my sound through other amps that I have like
for their break up, etc.

i assume, these microphones both are lo Z (impedance). If so, they have much
less output than a high Z microphone. Let's have a look on the Shure 545,
known as the "Paul Butterfield"-mic:

In lo Z wiring it has -78 dBV, wired in high Z it gives -55 dBV. That means a
voltage of 0.125 mV compared to 1.76 mV - that's a factor of 14 more! And
this is, from where the distortion results! And all these vintage bullets, no
matterwhich element they have magnetic, dynamic or crystal element inside,
are so gritty, because they deliver a high output - and have high Z.

So my advice, before you sell the Bassman: Give it a try with a high Z mic,
and you'll get a completely different tonal characteristic.

Bye,
Ralf