Re: [Harp-L] Just Intonation and Difference Tones

jazmaan wrote:
> shouldn't everybody using a bullet mike be using just
> intoned harps?

It depends on where your difference tones are coming from.  If
they're coming from adjacent notes on the harp being played
together, then the answer is yes.  But if the difference tones are
coming from the difference between a single note played on the harp
against a single note played on an instrument tuned to 12 tone equal
tempermenet, like a piano or even possibly a guitar, then then
answer is most likely no.

I will agree that most people don't examine their own playing
carefully before choosing between equal and just (or some
compromise) intonation.  I used to believe that because I play
mostly single notes I should choose equal temperment.  But I
discovered that I wasn't really playing strict melody lines, and I
wasn't doubling other chromatic instruments.  What's more, probably
the reason I didn't play more chords and partials was because they
sounded bad on the equally tempered harps.  I now prefer the 19-
limit just intonation scheme that I got from Pat Missin, and rarely
tune things to equal.

-tim