Re: [Harp-L] Just Intonation and Difference Tones

Equal tuning is a compromise. Just intonation is a different compromise. Pianos sound dreadfully out of tune to me. The flat 5 and 9 are not the only JI scheme that's employed with a harmonica. If you want insight into why Little Walter, SB II or Walter Horton etc played the way they did try playing their stuff using 7 limit JI. Chris what you're describing sounds like you are very pitch literal and you have stored a rigid set of pitches in your head. Since concert pitch has ranged from a low of perhaps A 435 to the now common 443-444 no claim can really made as to what a correct or standard tuning might be. If I'm not mistaken Chris experiences synesthesia in regards to music. He sees colours when he hears sounds. A brief snippet in this tuesday's New York Times section mentions a woman who tastes tones she hears. Rarer still.

It does my heart good to see Tim allowing for 19 limit these days. We'd gone round and round on that one in the past. fjm