Re: [Harp-L] Re: Just Intonation and Difference Tones

I'm not sure what you question about then, I guess it has to do with Mics.

Pat Missin posted this a while ago:

To cut to the chase, if your goal is to sound exactly like Walter
Horton, then I honestly don't believe you can do that with a harp in
Equal Temperament (hereafter referred to as "12TET" - 12 Tone Equal
Temperament), unless you stick to playing just pure single note lines
- but of course part of Walter's style was his usage of chords and
partial chords. No matter what microphone and amplifier you use, if
you stick a tempered chord in at one end, then rough sounds will come
out of the other end. Temperament introduces all sorts of noise and
artifacts into chords that will be amplified by your (duh!) amplifier.
However, stick a Justly Intonated chord into the same set-up and you
will be rewarded with perfectly tuned difference tones adding depth to
your sound, plus rich summational tones adding pure brightness and
sparkle to it.

Getting back to what I think you wanted to know:

Aren't most bullet users more interested in chordal
sounds?

I don't think bullet users use bullet mics for the way they reproduce
chords. But rather to color the sound. I think the breakup you hear when
people play is mainly from the amp. Mics (including green bullets) are
relatively good at harmonic fidelity, they do not emphasize overtones.

I've never compared a bullet with a vocal mic in the same session so I may
be wrong here. What I said above is just my suspicions. Good tube amps are
good because they are bad in terms of fidelity, with respect to overtone
breakup.

I'm really on thin ice here as mics and amps are really not my forte. Please
correct me if I'm of the track.

Pierre.