[Harp-L] RE: asking to sit in

  Answer: Don't do it. When you've attained the level of Rick Estrin, Mark
Hummel, Steve Guyger, etc. you'll have gained an understanding of why it
(asking to sit in) breaks a primary rule of gig etiquette. I was once out of
town on business, had my harps with me for practice (which was typical). My
business associates who do know my harp playing had been at a local watering
hole where a town band was laying down some blues. I got a phone call to
come down and listen to them..."""oh, hey...and bring your harmonica""". I
declined, and explained to them once in the bar why it doesn't work that
way. Well, as it turned out...my business friends had ALREADY posed the
question to the band about having me sit in. I was embarrassed by this bold
move. The band did take a set break, the lead guitar player came over and
talked with me, I explained my view on it all (I typically won't even play
with another band unless I've heard them play in order to get a feel for
their timing, progressions, etc.). As it turns out, the band knew the band I
regularly played with, and did invite me to play. Eventually I did, and got
the invite to finish the weekend's remaining two nights with the band. I'd
say it was even a risk for an up-and-coming band to let someone sit in. I
also know some guitar players who enjoy 'messing with the kid' by calling
out songs in a key they know a lot of harp players don't carry (F#), or
minor keys, etc. or play a Dylan tune to see if you can play in 4th position
and sound like him. Unless you've attained a level of proficiency to cover
all the possibilities...(I don't even feel I have!)..just sit and enjoy
THEIR music.

  bill otten