[Harp-L] Re: Low tunings

Steve Shaw writes:

R.S. <jollyweasel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Bushman makes a bunch of low harps but I've never
tried one.

I have a Low D Bushman Soul's Voice and really like it.  It is very
responsive for a low harp. Bushman also has some very low key harps,
Low C, Low G and Low-Low F.

>--Chris Otto
>
>That low C sounds interesting. Off the top of my head I can think of
>one waltz tune, a reel, an O'Carolan tune and a couple of song
>accompaniments that need a C. Playing Irish melodies on a normal C
>puts you in rather a high register. I could use a C chromatic except
>that I haven't got one and its infrequent use wouldn't really justify
>the cost, and valves are worth avoiding eh what (-; A tremolo is
>another option. But one of those low Cs could be just what I'm looking
>for. Has anyone got one?

I agree about the utility of low C harps.

I should point out that having more than 10 holes can be useful for the
added high range on a low-ptiched instrument. This is why I like the
12-hole Hohner 364 in low C and low D. I seal the wood comb, which is
subject to swelling like the 10-hole Marine Band.

Winslow