[Harp-L] RE: bass harp

"Tim Moyer" <wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote, asking:
Subject: [Harp-L] Bass Harmonica
>I just picked up a pre-WWII Hohner 265 bass harmonica that needs a
>little TLC.  All the reeds sound, and the tuning seems good, but I'm
>wondering if anyone has any suggestions for making a little more,
>uh, fresh.  Also, I know Hohner still makes this harmonica, are
>there parts available, so that I could perhaps replace the
>mouthpieces, which are a little old and not so clean.

>Am I correct in my understanding that in this note labeling system,
>the B note is actually a Bb, and that 'H' is used to refer to the B
>natural?

>Any advice on restoring this harp to optimum playing condition would
>be greatly appreciated.

Tim, parts should still be available, or you could return it to Hohner for a
total rebuild...
bound to be costly though. The mouthpiece can be cleaned, but I would
endeavor to keep a lot
of water out of the wood body and combs. I used alcohol, a toothbrush, and
some dish
detergent to clean mine when I got it. A little metal polish such as 3M's
machine polish,
available at auto supply stores will shine the metal parts up nicely too.

The bass harp is set up pretty much like a piano keyboard...black keys on
the top rack
and the white keys down below. However...both the B note and the F notes
(half step notes)
are repeated on the top and bottom tiers so that making that half note jump
doesn't require
jumping tiers in the middle of bass lines or arpeggios. I'm not sure how
yours is labeled
but mine has the A#/Bb labeled on the bottom row, with the B natural on the
bottom row
designated simply B, and the B on the top rack listed as BH. If I recall
correctly the H
is indicative of something in German. F notes are done the same way.

There are some pretty good instructionals out there too....one set is by a
gentleman named
Robert Berthiaume (sp??)from Fresno, CA and another by a woman from Ohio,
Judy Simpson who
is/was a member of SPAH.

I still have the original bill of sale on mine from 1969...cost then was $75
and a Marine Band
was $3.50!

Hope this helps.....

Bill Otten