Subject: [Harp-L] asking to sit in

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bob Cohen <bcohen@xxxx> wrote:
>> I'm going to see Little Charlie and the Nightcats tonight. They are one
>> of my favorite bands. It would be a dream come true to sit in with them
>> for a number. Does anyone know how they feel about that sort of thing?
FWIW, I saw Little Charlie & the Nightcats in a small club a few years ago. At the break I chatted with Rick a few minutes, and once he knew I was a harp player, he asked me "How do I sound in the mix?" When I replied that it sounded a little muddy to me, he asked that I go back to the sound man and see if I could get him to clean up the mix a little. I went back and relayed Rick's request and my opinion to the sound man (who looked at me like I had snakes crawling out of my ears). If I say so myself, it did sound a little better in the 2nd set.

So I have "sat in" with Little Charlie and the Nightcats - as an audience member. What Rick asked me to do was definitely the best (and probably only) thing I could do to add to the show. Unless you are one of the top 25 harp players in the US, I agree with Sonnytone - don't even think about it. (If you have to ask, you can't afford it.) I assume you also think it would be ok to ask the Yankees if you could pitch batting practice? If you want to jam with the best, go to a SPAH or a Jam Camp where it's expected and accepted. Don't put the performers in the uncomfortable position of politely declining - even though I am sure they are pros at it. It's tough enough making a living on the gig circuit without having to deal with that. My 2 cents - enjoy the show.
Fred S