Re: [Harp-L] asking to sit in

A couple of my experiences with these things....
    I saw Rick Estrin with Charile and the Nightcats a year or so back and
talked with Rick briefly on break. I told him I had seen   him first at a David
Barrett thing in Calif. so he knew I played harp. He was friendly and had just
started playing through a Harp King. He was very interested in what I thought
he sounded like and talked harp for awhile with me. Then during the next set,
toward the end, he pointed at me and asked me what I liked to hear. Of
course, i asked for Sonny Boy, because I know he does that thing so well.... It
never entered my mind about sitting in. I'm not that crazy.
    A regional band, playing awhile back at a blues club here, the harp
player was talking to me and another guy who is trying to learn a little about
harp. The harp player asked if we played and the other guy pointed at me and said
"he does." The band harp player then asked me if I wanted to sit in on a song
and I said "Nahh, I wouldn't do that to your gig." He almost had a look of
relief and grinned and said 'thanks man." Of course, I couldn't play nearly as
well as he did....
   So.. I guess you have to take them as they come, the sitting in thing. I
am not going to do it with a name band, for sure. There are some local bands,
who are friends of mine, that ask me and I do it in a flash, but that's
different.
    My three cents worth.

Still a fool for the Harp
Steve 'Moandabluz' Webb