[Harp-L] Steve Guyger/Lurie Bell

Live Music,

Seen Steve Guyger play last night - he opened for Lurie Bell, for all you guys and gals who wonder wether "imitation" is a valid way to approach an instrument.....both Guyger and Bell have "mastered the science".  It was an inspiring and delightful experience watching and hearing these two pros nail all the intricacies that we love and admire and never get tired of hearing in the playing of our forefathers - both harmonica and guitar.  These two performers epitomize the importance of keeping the disciplined styles that they so vividly portrayed alive.  To witness seamless imitation that is done with such sweat soaked detail and utter perfection is an absolute treat.  The love, respect and passion for the music that both performers so graciously shared with the audience was throughly appreciated and enjoyed.   Am I saying that Steve is nothing but an imitator... NO, I think I can safely say that Mr. Guyger can innovate...I'm simply stating, for the record, that the same wonderful feeling that you get each and every time that you listen to your records of past blues greats, is what Steve's playing also delivers !  He has tapped into the essence of what beautiful harmonica playing is all about, sure he exploits the licks of the masters,  but they are played with an execution of brillance and expertise that these timeless licks deserve to be remembered by.  Bell and Guyger are definitly keeping an American art form alive, Bravo!!!

Frank