Re: [Harp-L] Fender Hotrod

In a message dated 20-Mar-05 10:19:23 AM Central Standard Time,
dweeks@xxxxxxxxx writes:

> <<I used one on a gig once (playing guitar through it and no harp),
> and didn't like the sound--too harsh and edgy.  I returned it and
> found a Blues Deville instead, which I'm happier with as both a
> guitar and harp amp (plus it looks cooler).>>

The Hotrod deville is better suited to non Fender guitars. It sounds
better with humbucker or P-90 style pickups.

> <<The guy who does my amp work confirmed my impression: he told
> me the circuitry in the Hot Rods is different from the Blues
> Deville's, particularly in the "drive" channel, I think he said.>>

The drive channel is pretty much crap on the hotrod and regular blues
deville.
Due to the fact that both of these amps have the printed circuit board, they
tend to
break down after much repeated use. I have owned 3 blues devilles and 4
hotrod devilles. I think that they are fine for an entry level loud harp amp. They
get a bassman style sound because they have four ten inch speakers and they
have the same tone selection configuration(v,t,m,bs,p). I do feel that the RI
bassman holds up to more use/abuse than the devilles do, and can sound a bit
better.
HB