[Harp-L] Can't get plugged in

The microphone input on most PC sound cards is expecting to see an electret
microphone.  This type of microphone requires power and the sound card
supplies 5 volts to the microphone.
(see http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/microphone_powering.html )
Do not plug a standard microphone into a PC sound card.  You could damage
your microphone.  Try using a preamp and inputting the sound into the
line-in input on your sound card.  Or if you want you could make a custom
adapter for microphone input, just make sure you do not use the pin that
supplies 5 volts to the microphone.

Doug Havenhill

<I was looking for something simple to use so I could monitor my harp
progress.  I decided on Audacity and in order to use my JT30 mic, I went to
Radio Shack and got an adapter that would accept my ¼? cable to be reduced
to a 1/8? for the PC.  I was unable to record using this adapter and using
the process of elimination, removed the adapter all together and plugging in
a cheap PC mic with an 1/8? plug and presto, I was recording.  So it appears
that I?m not using the right adapter.  I used a stereo and a mono adapter
and neither one worked.  So my question; is there some special adapter that
I need to be able to record to my PC using my JT30?>