RE: [Harp-L] Elements of good teaching

Pierre  wrote:
> >From the student side, I would say that a teacher must  praise you
and not be
> critical at all; the goal being to make a student comfortable when
playing.
> Its hard enough playing badly in front of someone as you are learning,
if
> you are not at ease then you can forget it.

While I agree with your point in the early stages, Pierre, I know from
personal experience that unbridled praise coupled with no meaningful
criticism makes for a dead-end when you are trying to improve your harp
skills.  There is such a thing as constructive criticism and it can be
applied with care and dignity.  After a year or so of not getting any
meaningful criticism from a former teacher, I felt he'd left me "adrift"
in my efforts to improve.  Without some guided criticism, it's very
difficult to cast a direction for improvement.  I felt disappointed and
let down when this teacher wouldn't tell me if I was on the right track
or not, I think because he wanted to avoid hurting my feelings.  I'd
much rather have the straight scoop in a way that would help me deal
with my shortcomings than be playing a guessing game all the time.  I'm
in this to learn and get to be a better harmonica player, not to have my
ego stroked along the way.  If a harp student can't take a bit of
constructive criticism, I submit that maybe s/he should take up another
instrument.  Or maybe another form of expression altogether.  ;-)

I think a good teacher strikes a medium between praise and critique,
delivered in a supportive manner.

That's the way I see it,

Michelle