Re: [Harp-L] in-line volume control for xlr mic?

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:51:14 EST
From: ReidPlait@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] in-line volume control for xlr mic?
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

>Hello,
>I'm looking for an in-line volume control to use with a low-z dynamic
>microphone with xlr connection similar to a SM-58.  Is there  such a thing?
>
>Thank You,
>Brian

Hi Brian,
  How's it going?  I'm not aware of any stock inline XLR volume control
available on the market. Like you I've asked around to get one for myself.
What I do know is Brendan Power has one that he got a music tech to make
specially for his good self.  And a few months ago Randy Singer pointed out
a link to a one off volume control matching the description.

In terms of wiring, its only slightly more complicated than fitting a VC
into a bullet mic because you're dealing with balanced signal so you'd use
a double gang POT, I think the hardest part is packaging it in a neat
sturdy case so you can safely plug it into the end of your mic.

What it comes down to is you either need to have one made up specially, or
look at other options, like getting an XLR preamp that you can wear on your
belt, or mount on a mic stand the way Norton Buffalo does.

-- G.