Re: [Harp-L] Jason Ricci

--- Chris Michalek wrote:
<<Snip>>
Speaking of Sitting in - this is one of this occasions where if I am asked I would say no unless I dare make a fool of myself. Jason asked and I politely refused because I was still nauseated by what I heard for the hour and a half before. Jason's playing literally made me sick and the only other musician to ever make me feel that way was Michael Brecker. Jason is in a rare class of musicians and I was honored to have been his paltry opening act.

Hey Chris,

Sounds like it was a great show! I know what you mean about feeling "sick". Jason is so over-the-top. Every time I see him, I just sit there with my mouth open... agog... wanting to toss my harps in the dumpster... knowing without a shadow of a doubt that I'll never play that good even if I keep at this for a million more years (I've been playing for about 35 years now).

But I still think you should have accepted his invitation to share his stage, despite your nausea. When Jason played here in Denver last year (at the Supreme Court), he asked me to play with him during his last set... I tried to refuse, but he gently insisted, saying he wanted me to "drive the boat". I got up after a very flattering introduction, jokingly appologized to the audience for what they were about to hear, and then counted off a simple I IV V blues (Lookin' to the Future). Jason sat in the audience and smoked, grinning at me ear to ear. That band got SO behind me, the groove got SO deep... well, I played and sang my best and the audience loved it (they actually gave me a standing ovation... okay, they were pretty drunk by then). Anyway, it was one of the major highlights of my entire harpin' life.

This year (a few weeks ago) I had the opportunity to attend a private party were Jason's band played. Small, intimate gathering. This time he pulled me up and let me do one with his band, then joined me onstage, letting me back him on his great song, "Blues Penitentiary". Again, it was a great experience for me... really, ~really~, great. Jason is a real gentleman, and, for a blues guy like me, the most fabulous harp player working today. I am so honored to have had those opportunites and will treasure those memories forever.

To be acknowledged like that from someone I so admire... well, that's just pure gold in my book. Chris, I know your opening act was anything but "paltry." I know you would have tore up the house with Jason behind you. Next time he blows through town... I say, GO FOR IT!

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.