RE: [Harp-L] riffing in unison

Rainbow Jimmy wrote:
> <clip>
> My band has a song where I play a riff in unison with the guitarist. When
I read
> the Allman Brothers often played riffs in harmony I thought it would be
worth a
> try to alternate riffs doing it sometimes in harmony, sometimes in unison.

Speaking of Jason R., this is one of the coolest things I see him do,
playing in ~perfect~ unison with his super hot guitarist, Shawn Starsky (who
~really~ impresses everyone I take to a JR show, including myself :).
Spot-on in timing and pitch, it's an awesome display of virtuosity on the
parts of both players.  A thing of beauty!

Everybody is always raving about Jason, with very good reason, but his band
is RED HOT!  Shawn has an incredible range and depth in his guitar skills,
very much comparable to Charlie Baty, IMO, and that's a high compliment,
believe me.  Maki, the young Argentinian drummer, lays down a terrific
groove in any genre you choose and can really kick in the after-burners in a
solo.  Slim, the venerable bassist who recently recovered from open heart
surgery, was good before his operation but the cat really rips 'em up on
that bass now that his heart is beating on all cylinders.

As long as you can get over the dark side of being a mere mortal harper
witnessing true greatness, a Jason Ricci and New Blood show is about as good
as it gets, IMO.  Next chance you get to see them, try to reserve some of
your consciousness to enjoy the terrific musicians backing the great one up.
Of course, it may take a few shows before you can see and hear anything but
Jason wailing.  ;^)

Michelle