Re: [Harp-L] On reed problems

On Mar 23, 2005, at 8:12 PM, Snaruhn@xxxxxxx wrote:
Finally, some ideas to the actual crossed reed layout at chromatics.
In former decades we had the straight reed system with the small slide
holes. That the bigger slide holes of the crossed reeds allegedly gives
a better airstream to the reeds is nonsense. In the contrary, the bigger
holes cause "air gaps" when moving the slide, specially noticable at
the higher notes and above all, the slide way is twice as long. For my
part I don´t hear any sound difference between my crossed and straight
CX 12s.

Siegfried

Excellent post Sigfried. Most people don't associate reed problems with them being on an 'angle', just 'off-center'..
My feelings on the cross tuned mouthpieces with the bigger holes: the intention was to allow MORE air to get to the reeds. In actuality SMALLER holes will cause more pressure (similar to water pipes) and therefore should be better as greater pressure causes quicker response from the reeds. I seem to remember (but it's been a long time) that the straight tuned chromos had less 'jet-lag' than the new ones...But then, maybe this old man is getting senile............

smokey joe