Re: [Harp-L] For those new to jams

"vze825jl" <samblancato@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For the player(s) who recently posted about being new to jamming
> it's important to be able to play loud enough so
> that you will be sure to hear yourself.

good advice.  i would add the following:  if you're just starting,
consider just playing through a vocal mic into the PA, instead of
messing around with buying gear of your own.  i spent a very frustrating
couple of months dealing with not being heard, as my too-small amp
couldn't compete with everybody else's gear.  in the beginning, gear is
just a distraction to you; you should be focused on learning and listening
and watching what's going on.  oh yeah, on playing, too.

you've got plenty of time to figure out gear once you've a better idea what
you need.  in the meantime, talk to the other jammers; people love to talk
about their rigs.  listen to the discussions here.  then, once you've learned
enough to even know what the right questions are, ask them here.  this list
is full of people all too happy to help.

> As an aside, ...I think we
> can all agree that the &^%king  #$$holes who create spy-ware aught to be
> tarred and feathered and then whipped to within an inch of their lives.

i disagree.  that's much too kind.  you can't coddle these people.

> Gawd, what kind of jerk does that kind of stuff for kicks?

sadly, it's often no longer for kicks.  much of this is now in support of
business, legitimate or illegitimate.  bunch o' sleazebags.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technology Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.