Re: [Harp-L] All Along the Watchtower

John Dixon wrote:
"For straight chording, I would usually try to figure it out for
myself.  But I'm not quite happy with the solutions that I
currently have.  I'm using a C because it makes sense to me, but
please let me know if something else would work better.  I'm
doublestop C E for the Amin chord which I think works great.  For
the G chord, I draw 234 (or more).  I don't like the current thing
that I have going for the F chord though.  I want to have something
fatter than just a single note for the F.  Would it sound alright
to use a draw 59 octave split?  It seems that it would be too hight
and shrill."

I agree with this analysis.  With a standard tuned harp, there's no way
to get all the chord voicings working in every octave, so you wind up
with some big jumps between chords.  It's pretty jarring in performance.

The solution is to use a non-standard tuning (or use two harps).  Try a
G harp tuned to Dorian mode (draw 3 and 7 reeds tuned down 1/2 step)
played in 3rd position:

A minor: draw 456
G: blow 456
F: draw 345

There are many other chord voicings, in all three octaves, for these
three chords in 3rd position with the Dorian tuning, but this will get
you immediately oriented.

If you want to use two harps, try a G in 3rd position coupled with an F
(or low F) in 1st position, or a G coupled with a Bb in second position.

The Dorian harp is the best solution, in my opinion.  This chord
progression was made for that tuning.  If you don't want to retune the
reeds yourself, you can make the Dorian tuning easily for this song by
combining the draw plate for a Lee Oskar Natural Minor in D with the
blow plate from a standard Lee Oskar in G.

Thanks and regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
New live jammin' acoustic blues CD "All You Good People"
http://hunterharp.com/goodmain.html